If you decide to skip this annoying exfoliate first step, here’s what will happen:
- You experience dull, drab skin color because layers of dead skin cells will not reflect light and your spray on tanning will not look as natural.
- Your tan fades too quickly because larger clusters of cells will be shed leaving large gaps between your tan.
- If you don’t prepare for spray tan cannot absorb into the skin because layers prevent absorption.
The at home spray tan to the level of darkness YOU like. Go for the light sun-kissed look or heavier application for that just from the tropics appearance.
Other rituals to prepare for spray tan application
- Shave 24 hours prior to your spray on tanning application.
- Avoid using bar soaps because they tend to have a high pH level – not good for spray on tanning.
- Don’t use moisturizers or deodorants before a tan – the clog pores and prevent spray on tanning from absorbing into the skin.
NOTE: When you prepare for spray tan, minimize the risk of slipping, stand on a towel or other textured surface while using spray on tanning products.
STEPS TO THE PERFECT TANNING SPRAY ON APPLICATION:
There is no particular sequence to begin your spray on tanning application. Choose whatever method is comfortable for you. It has been my experience, as time passes you will naturally move to easier methods that work for you. We welcome your suggestions!
For those of you who are beginners with spray on tanning, please follow this method for even and complete coverage without mishaps. This process may take a couple of times to perfect but it works for a fabulously even tan.
1.) For those applying a sunless tanner (Clear or Bronzer), follow the instructions below. Moisturize your arms and legs following your spray application. While the tanner is still wet, rub a medium to thick consistency moisturizer in well (SheerTan Moisturizer works the Best). If there are any lines of moisturizer left (that happens with thin lotions) the tanning solution will pool in that area causing a streak. Pull the wet tanner down onto the ankles and tops of the feet, skimming the top of the toes. Do not smooth between toes – it gets too heavy here and doesn’t look natural. You want a gradual transition to the ends of the toes.
2.) For those applying the SheerTan Instant Body Bronzer, smooth a very light moisturizer over very dry areas of the body so that area doesn’t absorb too much spray. Spray apply the Instant Body Bronzer to the intensity and color that looks good with your skin. DO NOT SMOOTH. If you have gotten too close and over-applied, simply dab the run or over-application lightly with a paper towel or tissue.
3.) It can be difficult to achieve a consistent tan over the bony, curved portions of the elbows, wrists, knees, ankles and feet. Moisturizing over sunless tanners smooths out any mishaps and leaves a fabulously even tan!
4.) Remember to wash your palms with soap afterward or wear gloves.
5.) There is no need to moisturize the front or back of your torso or your face. Moisturize your arms and legs only.